We have nearly 70 years of Macgregor family ownership and a combined 185 years and whopping 7 generations of continuous business! The story begins when John H. Wickson set up his butcher business in Toronto’s historic St. Lawrence Market in 1834, the same year the city of Toronto was incorporated.
The business remained in the Wickson family for 4 generations until 1949, when it was released to Peter Macgregor, the then General Manager. Peter Macgregor was a Scotsman who had come to Canada as a butcher by trade, looking for more opportunity in life. Then operating as Peter Macgregor – Purveyor, our business remained in the market until 1966, before moving to our first Federally Inspected facility and turning our attention towards our burgeoning retail, foodservice & restaurant sales. That trajectory has continued now through 3 generations of the Macgregor family, formally becoming macgregors meat & seafood ltd. in 1991 with the addition of our robust fresh and frozen seafood division, and along the way, we became Canada’s first purveyor to be licensed by Certified Angus Beef® to process and sell the brand nationally.